The New York Chapter, CISV New York, a 501(c)3 charitable organization, has been in operation since 1977 and is fully run by volunteers. We have over 200 active members and families, with support from thousands more.
Our chapter includes:
- New York City’s five boroughs
- Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, and Putnam Counties of New York
- Central, Western and Northern New Jersey
- Long Island
Activities and events hosted by our chapter include:
- Mosaic Faces of New York: A one-week fully-subsidized residential summer camp for local 11- and 12-year-olds, providing a fun and safe environment for a diverse group of children to learn what it means to be a global citizen and live harmoniously with others. For more information, contact email@example.com
- CISV NY Gives Back: A new community service project spear-headed by youth participants to inspire “local” action for a more just and peaceful world. Projects thus far include a food drive, yoga and self-care.
- Junior Branch (JB): The backbone of our chapter, all members of CISV NY ages 9–25 are automatically part of the Junior Branch. The JB is run by their own Junior Board. Events include two mini-camps per year, and various on-going activities in alignment with our mission. For more information, contact the JB advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minicamps: Two annual weekend camps (fall and spring) open to all kids ages 9+ (members and non-members), organized and run by the Junior Branch, this camp is outside of the city and lots of fun!
- Delegations: Our chapter sends delegations (usually groups of 4 kids and an adult leader) to various international camps in the summer and during school breaks. For more information, see Programs
- Friendraiser: An annual social event with cocktails and dinner hosted in the fall
- Other: There are numerous events throughout the year, please put your name on our mailing list for e-blast updates.
Membership in the New York Chapter is open to all persons who subscribe to the objectives of the chapter. There are two types of membership: individual and family. Individual Memberships are available to persons 18 and older. Family Memberships include parent(s) or guardian(s) and all children of the family younger than 21.
Our objectives are:
- To further the purposes of CISV (to educate and inspire action for a more just and peaceful world) and adhere to its policies.
- To cooperate with the National and International associations of CISV in furthering and promoting the understanding of all peoples in the interest of world peace and world citizenship.
- To further, foster and promote such understanding in the New York Tri-State area.
- To sponsor CISV programs in the New York Tri-State area where delegates may experience personal interaction with a diverse group of children and adults.
- To select and send members of the NY Chapter as delegates to Village, Mosaic, Interchange, Step Up, Fortnight, Youth Meeting, Seminar Camp, IPP & other programs sanctioned by CISV to which the New York Chapter may be invited.
- To cooperate with other groups having similar purposes.
- To initiate local work efforts.
Our chapter hosted a Step Up in New York in 2015. Here’s a video recorded during the camp: